Thursday, December 29, 2016

God Heals

He said, "If you listen carefully to the LORD your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, who heals you." (Exodus 15:26)

Thoughts: This is an anniversary of sorts.  Tonight we celebrated my brother's 70th birthday.  It was a grand time with nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews and lots of memories, funny stories, corny jokes, sung music and good times.  I went with my wife of 36 years.  But twelve years ago tonight (10:00 PM) the doctor told me to come to my house to meet with him and to make sure all my children were there.  He told me my wife, Kay, had leukemia and had it bad- worst case (super high white blood count) he has seen.  He told us we should be prepared at best for a battle and at worse to get our affairs in order- it looked like she had about three months to live.  He suggested our daughter who was to be married in June move the wedding to March.
     Now, we are not fortunate, we especially do not consider ourselves lucky.  We never win anything and have had our share of bad things come our way.  But we are blessed- blessed by God so that she could be here 12 years later.  A few months earlier a new medicine came on the market that helped.  One of my church members was already on it (he had the same kind of leukemia- lived with it several years and died a few months after my wife was diagnosed).  The medicine didn't help him much, but by God's grace everything worked for Kay.
      In twelve years we have seen all of our three children graduate from college, two graduate from high school, two get married, and the birth of three grandchildren.  Today is just a mile-marker, but it is a wonderful place to  be.
       At what point do you thank God in this kind of thing? We thank Him each step of the way- each day we have- each event is even more special (though maybe it shouldn't be MORE special).  God heals through immune systems put into our bodies, through the medicines that He put in the world, through giving wisdom and direction to doctors in answer to may prayers for a healing solution.  Twelve years ago there was a 1% chance she would be here today, and if she was it would be in a very sickly state.  My wife looks great, exercises, babysits, drives. She has other problems with her knees and back, but she is able to live a good life.  Life is a gift.  When there is healing in life- it also is a gift.  Not everyone is made well- no one can figure that out.  We do know eventually we all will not be healed in this life.  But Christians believe there is a river of life from which we can drink in the next life.  We can even be healed from death.  God answers prayer- and God gives us life- sustains us in life- and brings us to eternal life.  


Prayer: Thank you, Lord, that you care about our sickness.  You showed that in Jesus (who healed so many).  When healing comes to me, let me always give you glory.  


No comments:

Post a Comment