Saturday, December 31, 2016

Life After Football

12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Phlippians 3:12-14)

Thoughts: Some goals fade with each new year.  I love college football and whether the games are won or lost- all will be over for eight months in a few days.  For some players, their career in college will be over and they can never go back again.  Paul is giving us an example for straining toward the goals we set for ourselves- not being stuck in the past (forgetting what's behind), but pouring yourself fully into your moment- into your goal to finish well.
     This should tell us something about goal setting.  Paul had his goal in mind. Hebrews likewise says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus the author and perfector of our faith."  Set a good goal- then press on to it.  I am in favor of New Year's resolutions to try to make ourselves better people.  I have often thought of that verse, "And Jess grew in wisdom, stature, in favor with God and in favor with man. (Lk. 2:52).  This example encourages us to grow mentally, physically, spiritually, and socially.  I believe we would do well to set goals accordingly.
     The greatest goal- the most important goal of which we should not lost sight- is to gain heaven in Christ.  On the way to this goal- let us honor God in the way we keep it- glorifying Him and enjoying Him.
     We will always pass little goals- like football seasons, seasons in our lives, times of transitions, work goals and seasons, family goals.  The ultimate individual goal that no one can get for us is to believe and to head toward the goal of heaven.  


Prayer: Lord, keep me from over-emphasizing the small goals so that I lose sight of my ultimate goal.    

No comments:

Post a Comment