Sunday, November 19, 2017

Prediction of Falling Away

31Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
“ ‘I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’c
32But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”
33Peter replied, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will.”
34“Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.”
35But Peter declared, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the other disciples said the same. (Matthew 26:31-35)

Thoughts: Why would Jesus say this?  Why would Matthew record it?  It is a bit embarrassing for the disciples to have this prophecy recorded.  Jesus was not being negative, he was being realistic.  He was telling them ahead of time- so they would know that God is in control, and can predict our failures.  When we mess up, it does not surprise God.  Rather, it saddens Him. 
     Peter, "The Rock", said everyone else may fall away, but he would not.  Indeed, Peter was braver than most (as usual).  It was Peter who got out of the boat to walk to Jesus when no one else would get out of the boat.  But Peter saw the wind and waves and sank.  So Peter cut off the servants ear.  Peter would follow Jesus to Caiaphas's house.  But there when challenged, Peter backed down denying he knew Jesus. 
    All the disciples had good intentions and believed in their own ability.  But they all ran away in one way or the other.  Jesus would die alone for the sins of the world. 

Prayer: Lord, my will is strong but my strength is weak.  Help me to do better than I can and to be faithful to you when I need to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment