Saturday, November 11, 2017

The righteous care

34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:34-40)

Thoughts: The righteous- are not just those who do right to get to heaven, but the righteous are those declared righteous by their belief.  The really great debate is who is righteous- it is not the so called, "good."  No good person is perfect, and heaven is a perfect place with not just kinda- perfect people in it.  Rather- the righteous are those who are God's children.  These righteous ones will not be bad - but will seek to please their Lord- doing what He says.  We know this.  Those who believe and practice their belief will do good out of love for the One who calls them. 
     What do these righteous do?  This is not an exhaustive list of good, but it certainly is a minimal list.  Helping the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick, and those in prison.  In other words care for the human beings who are hurting. 
     When we care fro the least of these, we care for our Lord.  

Prayer: Lord, give me grace to see the needs around me and then care for them as I would care for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment