Saturday, November 18, 2017

The Supper

26While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”
27Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of theb covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”
30When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.  (Matthew 26:25-30)

Thoughts: Jesus was celebrating the Passover- which was a salvation remembering meal. The Last Supper is a meal to remember the new covenant we are under.  The Lord's Supper replaces Passover as the Salvation remembering meal.  While the Israelites were saved from slavery by the blood of the Lamb, we who believe in Jesus, are saved from spiritual slavery by the blood of Jesus.
     For centuries the church has debated what "is" is.  This IS my body- meaning that the bread Jesus was using was somehow transformed into His body while He was holding it; and the grape cup was transformed into His blood while He was holding it.  Some like Luther point out that the presence of Christ is tied to the elements mysteriously.  Calvin speaks of a spiritual presence.  Some say the elements are a symbol of Christ.  Just as when we look at a map we say, "This is the world" but it really is not the world.  While the danger of one is being superstitious about the cup and bread, the danger on the other hand is to be too rationalistic and leaving the mystery out.  In the end, I think God is not overly pleased with our division over this issue. 
    In several Christian traditions the supper is called the "Eucharist" which means "thanksgiving."  We are called by Christ to be grateful for His giving of Himself for us. 

Prayer: Lord, help me to appreciate your love shown in the bread and cup.  Draw me closer to you in my heart through my communion, in thanksgiving to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment