Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Psalm 17

 1Hear me, Lord, my plea is just;

listen to my cry.

Hear my prayer—

it does not rise from deceitful lips.

2Let my vindication come from you;

may your eyes see what is right.

3Though you probe my heart,

though you examine me at night and test me,

you will find that I have planned no evil;

my mouth has not transgressed.

4Though people tried to bribe me,

I have kept myself from the ways of the violent

through what your lips have commanded.

5My steps have held to your paths;

my feet have not stumbled.

6I call on you, my God, for you will answer me;

turn your ear to me and hear my prayer.

7Show me the wonders of your great love,

you who save by your right hand

those who take refuge in you from their foes.

8Keep me as the apple of your eye;

hide me in the shadow of your wings

9from the wicked who are out to destroy me,

from my mortal enemies who surround me.

10They close up their callous hearts,

and their mouths speak with arrogance.

11They have tracked me down, they now surround me,

with eyes alert, to throw me to the ground.

12They are like a lion hungry for prey,

like a fierce lion crouching in cover.

13Rise up, Lord, confront them, bring them down;

with your sword rescue me from the wicked.

14By your hand save me from such people, Lord,

from those of this world whose reward is in this life.

May what you have stored up for the wicked fill their bellies;

may their children gorge themselves on it,

and may there be leftovers for their little ones.

15As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face;

when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.
*********************
Thoughts: It is hard to understand why some who do not believe get so angry at those who do.  When the USSR took over from the Czar in 1917 50,000 Christian clergy were killed and it is estimated that between 12-20 million Christian laity were killed for their faith.  By 1939 only 500 of 50,000 churches remained open.  The Turks tried to kill off the Christian Armenians in WW1- between 800,000 to 1.2 million were killed.  In the Maoist Revolution of communist China (1966- 76) about 30 million Christians were killed for their faith.  It is estimated that over 70 million Christians have been killed for their faith (Gordon Conwell estimate).  It is estimated there are 90-100,000 new martyrs every year.
     The Jewish faith- our Old Testament friends (yes, the Psalm is in the OT), have had their share too in the Holocaust where 6 million European Jews died at the hands of the Nazis.  October 7 about 1,200 died in an attack mainly on civilians.  The cry, "From the River to the Sea" is not a cry for a two state solution, but rather the destruction of the Jews.  Why are so many against religious people?  Are they irritating?  Do they offensively (not defensively) hurt the non-religious?  Christians are called to love their neighbor and to turn the other cheek.  In this Psalm is not a call to war against those oppressing him (probably David), but a call for God to vindicate and defend them.  Ironically, persecution usually has the reverse effect.  When people see that others have a reason for living- and dying- it often inspires them to adapt the faith.  As Tertullian said, "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."  We are called to remember we have a help in times of trouble. 
This Psalm is a missionary Psalm in that it encourages us to keep the faith even when it hurts.  Missionaries do not give the faith up when it gets hard.  Jim Elliot, who died in the 1950s trying to bring the gospel to the Auca Indians of Ecuador said, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."  Elliot could have stayed comfortable but he felt God's call to reach those who have never heard, even if it put him in danger.  

Some may look at this and say, "See, God does not defend them!"  But the answer is found on the cross.  Jesus was persecuted and killed though he asked, "If it be possible let this cup pass from me."  But today more believe in him than any other religion and there are Christian adherents in every country on the earth (the only religion that can or ever could claim that).  God, who raises Jesus from the dead, also does vindicate us.


Prayer: Lord, let me not love comfort more than you.  Help me to be a missionary where I am, and where you call me to go.  

No comments:

Post a Comment