Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Psalm 2- Kiss the Son

 1Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain?

2The kings of the earth rise up

and the rulers band together

against the Lord and against his anointed, saying,

3“Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles.”

4The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.

5He rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying,

6“I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain.” 

7I will proclaim the Lord’s decree: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have become your father. 
8Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.
9You will break them with a rod of iron; you will dash them to pieces like pottery.” 
10Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth.
11Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling. 
12Kiss his son, or he will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.


******
Thoughts:  Why do the nations "rage" or "conspire against God?"  People are angry at the Maker for not making things better for them and making heaven on earth right now.   In Genesis the answer is found.  We have a knowledge of good and evil, but we do not have eternal life now- lest we live in a state of a combination of good and evil.  The tree of life does not come until we are changed- and God makes all things new for those who are His.  
This Psalm is a warning.  We do not want to heed it.  We want to think we can argue against God, and fight against God.  But such arguments and battles are senseless and only are a beating of our own heads against the wall- hurting our own souls.  God will win.  We know so little and have so little power compared to the Creator.  
But we should want all people to know His blessing.  It is a blessing to be able to take refuge in God.  This means that troubles come, and we have a place to go- a refuge.   Blessed are all who take refuge in Him- so let's invite others to do just that and join us in the place/person of refuge.  
Years ago, I was surrounded by a gang of boys after school who were a year older than me.  I managed to escape their beating, but went home and told my father.  He went back with me and confronted them.  I took refuge in Him- and those boys melted away.  We have a heavenly Father in whom we are blessed to find refuge.  We should point others who feel alone to Him.  


Prayer: Lord, you have blessed me.  Under your wings I find refuge.  It is a blessing to be able to "Kiss the Son."  Help me to know how and to be inspired to point others to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment