Saturday, January 6, 2024

Psalm 6

 Psalm 6 a

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith. b A psalm of David.

1Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.

2Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am faint; heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony.

3My soul is in deep anguish. How long, Lord, how long?

4Turn, Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love.

5Among the dead no one proclaims your name. Who praises you from the grave?

6I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping

and drench my couch with tears.

7My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes.

8Away from me, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping.

9The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.

10All my enemies will be overwhelmed with shame and anguish;

they will turn back and suddenly be put to shame.
******************
Thoughts: This is a cry for mercy because of weariness and perhaps sickness.  This person is tired.  We have all been there. He can't sleep, he feels like he is fading away.   
     The great news is there is a God who hears our cry for mercy.  There is someone to accept our prayer.  
     Every now and then I hear someone say, "My request is too small to bother God- but it bothers me."  Or, "My prayer is too large for God to handle,"  We need a believing spirit when we pray.  Jesus said as much (John 15). 
       Yet, most today have no problem believing that Google (or other search engines) can answer our question- any time of the day or night on whatever topic.  We do not say, "My request is too small or big."  We put more faith into a mechanical system than the Almighty Creator of the Universe.  We ask google where to go- but we are not sure God can give us direction.  We ask Google life advice, but we are unsure about finding this advice from the age-tested Bible.  If we would simply talk to God like many of us inquire of Google, it would be a great step.  We need mercy, and we need to believe there is a loving Being who provides it.  We also need to point other people to our source of mercy.  


Prayer: Merciful Father, help me to find help and hope in you and tell others about it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment