Saturday, January 20, 2024

Psalm 20

 Psalm 20 a

For the director of music. A psalm of David.

1May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;

may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.

2May he send you help from the sanctuary

and grant you support from Zion.

3May he remember all your sacrifices

and accept your burnt offerings. b

4May he give you the desire of your heart

and make all your plans succeed.

5May we shout for joy over your victory

and lift up our banners in the name of our God.

May the Lord grant all your requests.

6Now this I know:

The Lord gives victory to his anointed.

He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary

with the victorious power of his right hand.

7Some trust in chariots and some in horses,

but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

8They are brought to their knees and fall,

but we rise up and stand firm.

9Lord, give victory to the king!

Answer us when we call!
****************
Thoughts: This is a prayer for God to answer when we call to Him.  It reminds me a bit of the contest between Ba'al's prophets and Elijah on Mt. Carmel (1 Kings 18).  Elijah said, "How long will you waver between two opinions, if the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal is God follow Him...the God who answers by fire- He is God."   
I am not so sure that, looking back, I want God to answer every prayer I prayed.  Some were prayed foolishly and selfishly, and may have even hurt others if they were answered in my own way.  Yet- when my heart is as God's heart; when HE is the desire of my heart, then the prayer should be answered positively.  Ironically, when He is my desire, I care less about my worldly benefits- and am even able to face my crosses.  
Yet, our trust should be in God.  Some trust in chariots or horses- or hyper technology or the latest drone or aircraft or missile or missile protection.  To be sure, God sometimes uses chariots and horses (as in David's battles while King).  Yet, our ultimate trust- and peace- and hope is beyond our best thoughts and technology.  The one who made one trillion billion stars is the One we should trust in.  So, Lord, hear us.  You who answer faster than Google, You who provides faster than online banking, You who cares more than any human has ever cared for me- answer and help me.  


Prayer: Lord, hear my prayer.  Hear it not because of what I have done, but because of your great mercy and because I have put my trust in you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment