Thursday, November 21, 2013

11-22-13- Worship and Thanks

11 Yours, Lord, is the greatness and the power
    and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
    for everything in heaven and earth is yours.
Yours, Lord, is the kingdom;
    you are exalted as head over all.
12 Wealth and honor come from you;
    you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power
    to exalt and give strength to all.
13 Now, our God, we give you thanks,
    and praise your glorious name. (1 Chronicles 29:11-13)

Thoughts: To give thanks perhaps begins with acknowledging the ability of the one that we thank.  The second part is to acknowledge that we have shared in that bounty.  The third part is to actually thank the One who has given so much to us.
    Here Solomon in his wisdom acknowledges God's greatness, power, glory, majesty, splendor and the right owner of all things.  He is acknowledged as the Lord of lords- the giver of wealth and honor and strength.
     God is the invisible hand that leads, guides, and protects us.  If we can acknowledge that, then we not only can give thanks but we ought to give thanks.  Giving thanks acknowledges God's invisible hand is at work.
     My uncle used to love to give children gifts.  he would hide gold and silver coins under nuts near a bird feeder.  Whenever I would visit him as a child, he would walk me and my cousin out and show us "what the squirrels left."  It was only in time I realized the squirrels did not leave us the coins, but my uncle did.  It was only when I recognized my uncle's ability and generosity that I gave him thanks.  So we must worship the God who has done so much for us- for He is thhe Great One.  


Prayer: May I ever believe in your hand pointing the way, holding onto mine, lifting me up.  I give you thanks, O Lord, for your great love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment