Thursday, November 14, 2013

11/15/13- Hope in Heartache

I have been deprived of peace;
    I have forgotten what prosperity is. So I say, “My splendor is gone
    and all that I had hoped from the Lord.”
19 I remember my affliction and my wandering,
    the bitterness and the gall.
20 I well remember them,
    and my soul is downcast within me.
21 Yet this I call to mind
    and therefore I have hope:
22 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him.” (Lamentations 3:17-24)

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Th. 5)

Thoughts: Where does the non-believer get their hope?  Where does the person find hope when things go wrong?  It is way too easy to criticize people of faith by wondering how a good God could allow evil.  But the other side is asking how people who do not have faith find any meaning- or even define what is evil.  
    I have been the chaplain in a medium city public hospital.  My job was to be there in the real crises with the families and help them with their grief.  In my small observances I have seen a huge difference between those who have faith and those who do not in how they handle disappointment, sickness and grief.
    Both Old Testament and New Testament speak of being able to find hope in God- even rejoicing in Him and giving thanks in the tough times.  It is not just that there is a silver lining behind every cloud.  It is that there is a good God who loves us even in the midst of the trials and sicknesses of life.   Jeremiah saw his city destroyed, his Temple burned, his friends and relatives killed.  Yet Jeremiah and all people of faith are given amazing hope when it makes no sense to have hope. 
     I have sat with many grieving families over 26 years of ministry.  I can tell you the love of God (often shown by the love of church friends praying and hugging and showing concern) makes a huge difference in mitigating the pain of heartache.  

Prayer: God your compassions never cease.  Your love doesn't fade in and out with my circumstances.  Let me walk by faith in thanksgiving rather than by sight with despair.  



No comments:

Post a Comment