Saturday, November 9, 2013

11/10/13- Thanking God

“Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling. Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their rulers whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’
“Now then, tell my servant David, ‘This is what the Lord Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name great, like the names of the greatest men on earth. 10 And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning 11 and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over my people Israel. I will also give you rest from all your enemies.

...18 Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said:

“Who am I, Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 19 And as if this were not enough in your sight, Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant—and this decree,Sovereign Lord, is for a mere human!
20 “What more can David say to you? For you know your servant, Sovereign Lord. 21 For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant. (2 Samuel 7:18-21)

Thoughts: This second paragraph is one of the great prayers of thanksgiving in the Bible. God told David because David wanted to build a house (Temple) for him, God would give him a house (lineage).  God reminds David that He took David when he was nothing and made him something. He made David's name and reputation great- giving him a capital city and peace.  So David gave this great example of thanks.  He recognized God's grace and choosing to bless David and his descendants.  It also was a blessing to know that this blessing was coming- making the blessing last longer and more enjoyable.  David gives thanks to God- and sets the example for us..  He was a man after God's own heart perhaps because he had a thankful heart.

Prayer: Who am I, O Lord to receive your great blessings?


No comments:

Post a Comment