Thursday, November 7, 2013

11/8/13- Thanks in All

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)


Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen    and no cattle in the stalls,18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,   he enables me to tread on the heights. (Habakkuk 3:17-19)

Thoughts: Christians do not give up their faith in the bad circumstances of life.  We do not worship luck.  Rather the steadfast God is our Rock and we can rely on Him in good times and bad.
Matthew Henry, the great Bible Commentator, had this to say after he was robbed:
“Let me be thankful first because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, because although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.”  There is a peace that God gives that "passes all understanding" (Phil. 4:7).  It is a peace that doesn't depend on circumstances or wisdom.  It depends on faith that God will be there in the good and bad times- and that earthly blessings are secondary.  Sight tells us to weep when times are hard.  Faith tells us that God will wipe away every tear and that even the worst that life does to us- our crosses- can be turned into a resurrection.  So give thanks even when it doesn't make sense.  No, not because you feel like you ought, but because you believe there is a God who can redeem us from all our troubles.  Even on the mountains of heartache, God gives us the ability to survive like mountain deer- from crag to crag. 

Prayer: In each day, Lord, let me find a reason to give thanks. 








No comments:

Post a Comment