Saturday, November 23, 2013

11-24-13 Coming Back to the Blesser as Thanks


17 “When he [The Prodigal Son] came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father. (Luke 15:17-20)

Thoughts: The Prodigal Son came back to his senses and came back to his father.  He came back to recognize where he would be apart from his father's love and grace.  He came back in part because of desperation, in part recognizing the father (representing our Father) had the ability to bless, and in part out of gratitude for what the father had done.  Yes, part of gratitude is realizing who gives the blessing and coming back to the blesser.  Whenever we come back to God it is always an acknowledgement that on our own we at best are limited and really can do nothing.  But we come back- sometimes in desperation, sometimes not, to the One who can help us.  Humility often opens our eyes to the need to be grateful for what we have and thankful to God.  It is hard to see God without humility and without turning back to Him to help us. 

Prayer: Lord, all that I have is a gift from you.  Help me to always come back to you acknowledging your provision and ability to help me in my time of need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment