Saturday, November 2, 2013

11/3/13- The Perseverance of the Church

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. (Matthew 16:15-18)

Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:4-5)

Thoughts: The gates of Hell will not overcome the Church.  But that doesn't mean churches and denominations will not fail when they lose their love for God and ability to listen to Him.  Today, if you go to Ephesus (the church spoken of above in Rev. 2), it is deserted and the church is long gone.  The church is always fragile.  No amount of money or buildings can insure the church.  There is a church in New Jersey that has a huge endowment worth many millions.  It has several paid ministers, but no members.
    I am writing about this because Lake Murray Presbyterian is celebrating its 38th anniversary.  I am deeply aware that if people lose their love for God, the church can end up as a museum or community center (as many churches have in Europe).  People need to feel the responsibility that they ARE the church.  If we do not pray for, give for, work for the glory of God in our church, we should not expect someone else to do it.
    But on the other hand, when we love God from our heart; when we make the profession that He is the Christ, the Son of the Living God; when we have a humble attitude of repentance; then the gates of Hell melt away at the sight of people who really believe and act on that belief. 

Prayer: Help me to love you more Lord.  Help me to love you for your glory, and for the good of the Church, as well as for my own good.  Help me to love you because you are worthy of true, deep, devoted love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment