Thursday, February 13, 2014

2/14/14- Jesus the Bread

36But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 39And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”
41At this the Jews there began to grumble about him because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.” 42They said, “Is this not Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How can he now say, ‘I came down from heaven’?”
43“Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. (John 6:36-43)

Thoughts: In John 6 Jesus uses the "bread" metaphor in many different ways.  He had just fed the 5,000 with bread- but wanted them to seek spiritual bread.  He said he was the bread of life.  Then he also compared himself to the manna from heaven (vs. 41)- coming down to feed the children of God.  Here he subtly refers himself to the Manna that came down from heaven.  He has come down from heaven to accomplish His Father's will (vs. 36).  Part of which is that he will be devoured by his enemies, but broken for his friends.
     The Jews tried to convince themselves that he was just an ordinary man with ordinary parents (vs. 42).  So often we try to tell ourselves that the supernatural was just natural.  We say the answered prayer was just a coincidence.  We say that our getting that wonderful job we asked God about was just because we had so much talent.  We say that the food we eat is not miraculous- and perhaps we don't need to thank God for it.  We are taught that it is all up to us and that God doesn't interfere- how dare He?   Yet, God is the hand that moves the movers.  God is the one who gives us everything- time, talent, ability, and more- directs us with purpose, angels, counsel, scripture, and Spirit.  If you have ordinary eyes- you only see Jesus the man.  But if you put on the eyes of faith- you are able to celebrate the Love of God found in Jesus the Bread Come down from heaven.
     On this Valentine's day- we ought to remember no human love or spouse can ultimately satisfy.  Yet Jesus, the bread of life- provides love for us in the right time and place.  

Prayer:  Lord, you were no ordinary person, and feed us with no ordinary nourishment.  Nourish my soul this day with your love. 




No comments:

Post a Comment