Friday, February 7, 2014

2/8/14- Eternal Life Now- John 5:24-30

24“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.25Very truly I tell you, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself.27And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.
28“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.30By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me. (John 5:24-30)

Thoughts: Verse 24 reminds us that we obtain eternal life when we believe in Jesus' word and that He is from God.  Eternal life does not begin after we die, but as soon as we believe.  When we are made aware of God in Jesus we are as the dead who are raised.  Yet there is another anticipation that Jesus is the one who gives life.  The reference here is clearly to Daniel 12:2,3.  Jesus puts his teaching firmly on the side of those who believe there is eternal life and it is granted not simply by living or by death, but by God- and specifically by believing in Him.  Later Jesus would embody this teaching by raising Lazarus from the dead.  Jesus called out and Lazarus came forth.  Jesus is the lamp lighter in many cultures- the one who gives light and gives life.  

Prayer: Jesus, help me to trust in you for my eternal life.  Help me to have peace that this life is not all there is.  





No comments:

Post a Comment