Saturday, February 8, 2014

2/9/14- Testimony about Jesus John 5:31-44

31“If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true.
33“You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.
36“I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39You studyc the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.
41“I do not accept glory from human beings, 42but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God? (John 5:31-44) 

Thoughts: So who can tell us if Jesus is who He says He is?  Who will bear witness.  
Here are some answers:
1) Another- the Holy Spirit- The ultimate testimony to Christ is the Holy Spirit who draws people to believe and convicts people that what is being said about His divinity is true.  In the end, two people will hear the same argument and one will respond and the other will not.  The difference is not the argument, but the Holy Spirit who opens our eyes and hearts.
2) John the Baptist- John was the one who said, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."  John was the first man to testify when Jesus began his ministry.
3) The miracles, teachings and example of Jesus- No one taught, lived, or did miracles to back them up like Jesus.  He claimed to forgive sin, He claimed to be the judge.  He claimed to be one with the Father (10:30).  He claimed to be the I am (8:34).  His claims were tremendous.  He backed them up with a gentle and kind life- avoiding weapons and rebellion.  He backed them up by feeding 5,000, walking on water, calming the storm, raising Lazarus, and his own resurrection to name just a few.  In this passage Jesus claimed to be the glory that comes from the only God.  Amazing claims were made.  he did not accept anyone's testimony in particular for the testimony of human beings is fickle.  One minute a politician may be more popular than any other politician and the next they may be totally derided (compare George Bush after 9-11-2001 and after 2008's stock crash).  Jesus himself saw this from Palm Sunday's praises to the crowd's shouts to "crucify him." Yet the real testimony remains true, and we need to hear it. 

Prayer: Lord, give me ears to hear your speaking to my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment