Saturday, February 22, 2014

2/23/14- Setting Our Hearts on Eternity

33Jesus said, “I am with you for only a short time, and then I am going to the one who sent me. 34You will look for me, but you will not find me; and where I am, you cannot come.”
35The Jews said to one another, “Where does this man intend to go that we cannot find him? Will he go where our people live scattered among the Greeks, and teach the Greeks? 36What did he mean when he said, ‘You will look for me, but you will not find me,’ and ‘Where I am, you cannot come’?” (John 7:33-36)

Thoughts: Jesus was teaching that he would go on, but not on this earth.  He was continually trying to get them to think beyond the temporary to the eternal.  They would still look for Jesus down on earth, but they would never be able to come to Him unless they started living for eternity.  Once again, the people were only thinking about this life.  If he was going where they could not come, then it must be Greece or maybe Africa or India?  But he was talking about going to heaven after being with them only three years in ministry.  Yet, to all who believe in Him, and set their hearts on God and eternity, holding onto the forgiveness and grace of Jesus seen on the cross, there is a way provided to go to Jesus.  Let us set our hearts on where Christ is, that we may go to Him.  

Prayer: Lord, lift up my heads to you.  Strengthen my heart that I might set my heart on eternity.  

(Ascension of Christ John Singleton Copley 1775)

No comments:

Post a Comment