Sunday, April 3, 2016

The Call of Restoration

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!” (John 20)

Thoughts: Peter had denied Christ three times.  Even after the resurrection, Peter was in dismay and had gone back to fishing.  He not only needed to know Jesus was alive, he needed to know he was forgiven.
       To teach Peter well, Jesus calls his name three times and asks Peter if he loves him three times.  After Peter's response that he loves Jesus, Jesus gives him a purpose/mission- to feed his sheep.
        Jesus, seeks us to restore us to Himself as well.  He calls us to love Him and then He gives us a mission.  God doesn't just call us to love Him. He then calls us to a mission.  In Peter's case it was to feed the sheep.  

Prayer: Lord, let me hear you voice calling to me by name.  Then let me respond in love and willingness to do your will.  

No comments:

Post a Comment