Friday, June 10, 2016

Lord's Supper Words of Institution

23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. (1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

Thoughts: Paul was saying he was passing on what he had heard from the Lord.  He was not making this up, but was handing down something important.  The Lord's celebration of the Passover was not just a remembrance of a past event, but He was adding significance to it.  He was the Passover Lamb- sacrificed in covenant for us.  His body and blood represented by bread and grape juice/wine are symbols of His sacrifice for us.  Whenever we believe and partake in the Lord's Supper- we show the world we believe in His sacrifice and the way to find peace with God. 

Prayer: Lord, help me trust in your sacrifice for me and draw closer to you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment