Thursday, June 23, 2016

Love Here Compared to Love in Heaven

11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 

Thoughts: Too often when 1 Corinthians 13 is read people think of this as a- growing up and maturing in love as an adult theme.  Love grows upon us.  Once we thought love was sacrifice or flame of passion.  But as we grow, we understand love is much much more.  Love is not lust or puppy love.  It is not a fascination of what the other person can do for you.  God teaches us the value of love as faithful commitment and as described above in this chapter.  Love is a gift to be treasured, that goes beyond the years and does grow with us.
    The knowledge we have now compared to that which we will have in heaven is nothing.  The love that we have now, compared to that which we will have in heaven is nothing.
     I spoke like a child.  Children stutter and cannot always get the right words out that they want to say.  Tongues here on earth will seem so inadequate compared to what we will have in heaven.
     I thought like a child. What is the difference between "thought like" and "reasoned like?"  The first is understanding and the second is reasoned or arguing.  Paul is comparing the understanding and ability to reason like prophecy and knowledge compared to heaven.  I thought like a child- means to not think fully or completely.   The prophets were never completely sure of their prophesies, and they were often clouded with nebulous statements.  When we get to heaven prophecy will seem obsolete for we will see things as they should be seen.
    I reasoned like a child.  Our knowledge and ability to figure things out will seem so inadequate when we get to heaven.  In heaven our love will be made complete but along with it our ability to communicate, to understand, and to know things.  Complete love in the presence of God will do this for us.  When we love God with our whole heart, soul, mind, and strength - we find that ultimately our heart, soul, mind, and strength are made complete in heaven.  


Prayer: Lord, let my love for you grow and not cease.  Let my love change and with it my ability to communicate, understand and know your love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment