Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Balance of Mind and Spirit

13For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,d say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified. (1 Corinthians 14:13-17)

Thoughts: Paul does not simply say rational thinking is enough for worship.  This is where some in my (Presbyterian) tradition mess up.  There is an emotional and spiritual side to worship, and we should not be afraid to embrace that as well.  We need to be spiritual as well as rational.  When Presbyterians err by being over-rational it leads to skeptical non-mysterious, semi-legalistic Unitarianism, Deism, or a semi-Gnosticism.  We need to leave room for the mystery, the singing in the spirit, the praying in the spirit that listens to God deep down.  Praising God, singing to God, is important for it touches the deep inner reaches of the soul.  Yet, we should also seek to edify others.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to find a good balance between mind and spirit.  Let me purssue you with both.  

No comments:

Post a Comment