Saturday, October 8, 2016

God is a Shelter in the Storm

1Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.2From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
4I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings. (Psalm 61)

Thoughts: Today the flood of Hurricane Matthew came.  The beaches of South Carolina I played on as a kid have had their sand washed away.  The piers I walked on at Springmaid and Surfside are destroyed.  Over 833,000 are without power.  Many have had their homes along the coast flooded.  The Hurricane came on land at McClellanville (where Hugo came in 1989), but it had suddenly weakened to a category 1 hurricane. Amazingly, there have been no reported deaths in South Carolina so far.  There have been over 800 dead in Haiti from this same storm.
    In times of wind and flood we look for a solid place to stand. Psalm 61 reminds us where our firm ground is.  God is our high rock, and we ask/pray that God will lead us to Himself.  He has been our shelter in a time of storm, and a safe place against those who would harm us.  Let us also long for our permanent home that can never be swept away with floods/winds.  Let us seek to find our refuge in our greatest friend.  He will help us in the storms of life and be a shelter for us when no one else will welcome us in.   God is not only a shelter in the storm, but also after the storm.  

Prayer: Lord, you are a shelter in a time of storm.  You are the rock that is higher than I am.

Edisto- Palmetto Blvd. 10-8-16

No comments:

Post a Comment