Monday, October 17, 2016

Listen for God's Blessing

7In your distress you called and I rescued you,
I answered you out of a thundercloud;
I tested you at the waters of Meribah.c
8Hear me, my people, and I will warn you—
if you would only listen to me, Israel!
9You shall have no foreign god among you;
you shall not worship any god other than me.
10I am the Lord your God,
who brought you up out of Egypt.
Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.
11“But my people would not listen to me;
Israel would not submit to me.
12So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts
to follow their own devices.
13“If my people would only listen to me,
if Israel would only follow my ways,
14how quickly I would subdue their enemies
and turn my hand against their foes! (Psalm 81)

Thoughts: If your theology does not allow for God to answer prayer, then your theology is shallow and your God is both deaf, helpless, and useless.  This is the point of this Psalm.  God listens to our prayers- answers them.  He then invites us over and over to listen to Him in return and then He will bless us.  When we turn away from God- and refuse to listen to His voice and ways- making things up as we go, we forsake God and He promises to forsake us.  Yet God pleads in this Psalm- to please listen.  God holds the carrot out for us- if we will but listen- only listen- He will provide food for us (open wide your mouth and I will fill it- vs. 10); he would subdue their enemies; and they would know in whom they could trust.  But when we refuse to listen out of pride or a desire to make up our own way- God gives us over to our own way.  He allows us to "follow our devices" which leads away from His provision, His protection, and His love.  Listening- harkening, obeying, heeding- are all important ways we acknowledge God as God, and that He has a Word for us to hear.  

Prayer: Lord, give me ears to hear and a heart to respond to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment