Saturday, April 28, 2018

Ruth the Servant

No, my daughters. It is more bitter for me than for you, because the Lord’s hand has turned against me!”
14At this they wept aloud again. Then Orpah kissed her mother-in-law goodbye, but Ruth clung to her.
15“Look,” said Naomi, “your sister-in-law is going back to her people and her gods. Go back with her.”
16But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the Lord deal with me, be it ever so severely, if even death separates you and me.” 18When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her. (Ruth 1)

Thoughts: Ruth and Naomi lived in the time of the judges (c. 1100 BC).  Ruth was a Moabitis.  The Moabites worshiped the god Chemosh who required human sacrifice.  Ironically, Ruth's son would be the grandfather of King David of Israel- and would have no chance of being sacrificed because he was in Israel.  Ruth was a convert to the worship of the Lord, the God of Israel.  Ruth had nothing to give to Naomi but the hope of food (there was a famine in Moab) and the hope of God.  She had no son and no fortune promised to her.  In reality the future looked like Ruth would end up taking care of Naomi as she aged.  But Ruth trusted in the Lord, and was willing to whole-heartedly and sacrificially serve Naomi.  It is this will to serve a fellow human being who had nothing to offer but faith that God blessed.  It is always those who are humble and sacrifice themselves that God blesses best. 

Prayer: Lord, open my eyes to see someone to help and serve.  Help me to give myself to them wholeheartedly in your name.  

No comments:

Post a Comment