Sunday, April 22, 2018

Samson's Marriage Troubles

1Samson went down to Timnah and saw there a young Philistine woman. 2When he returned, he said to his father and mother, “I have seen a Philistine woman in Timnah; now get her for me as my wife.”
3His father and mother replied, “Isn’t there an acceptable woman among your relatives or among all our people? Must you go to the uncircumcised Philistines to get a wife?” (Judges 14:1-3)
1Later on, at the time of wheat harvest, Samson took a young goat and went to visit his wife. He said, “I’m going to my wife’s room.” But her father would not let him go in.
2“I was so sure you hated her,” he said, “that I gave her to your companion. Isn’t her younger sister more attractive? Take her instead.”
3Samson said to them, “This time I have a right to get even with the Philistines; I will really harm them.” 4So he went out and caught three hundred foxes and tied them tail to tail in pairs. He then fastened a torch to every pair of tails, 5lit the torches and let the foxes loose in the standing grain of the Philistines. He burned up the shocks and standing grain, together with the vineyards and olive groves. (Judges 15)

Thoughts: Samson was feeling apologetic that he had lost his temper over the riddle of the lion's honey.  He had felt betrayed by his wife, but he sought to make things right by bringing her flowers....er- a young goat. The pagan father just gave his wife to the best man in his wedding, thinking Samson had abandoned her.  In response, Samson destroyed the crops of the Philistines.  The Philistine soldiers demanded Samson be handed over to them.  But in handing Samson over, Samson broke loose and killed a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of a donkey.  In his "Incredible-Hulk-like anger"  Samson had set the Israelites free. 
    Samson chose his wife simply by the way she looked. He ignored his parents' warning.  Love is more than strength and beauty.  But Samson sounds here like Garcon of Beauty and the Beast fame claiming that he wanted Belle because she was the most beautiful and he was the most handsome.  Spiritual and mental compatibility is important in a relationship.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to be patient to find the person you have for me. Help me to see that life is more than the way it appears on the surface.  

No comments:

Post a Comment