Sunday, April 19, 2020

4-20-20 Alone On Purpose to Pray


CORONA-VIRUS TIME DEVOTIONS
This week I wanted to look at the times Jesus was alone.  Yesterday we examined that Jesus went off to the desert (wilderness) to fast, pray, and face temptation.  He was not really alone- the devil was there and so were the angels who comforted Him after He passed the tests.  

Here is a great early passage from Mark’s Gospel that showed Jesus’ priorities:
Mark 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
This verse has always meant a lot to me.  It encourages me to make time for God even if I have to get up before everyone else. I have since loved the sunrises and listening to the birds sing.  

I can remember taking a group from my church (LMPC) to Israel.  Getting up before sunrise on the Sea of Galilee is a beautiful sight.  I was seeing the topography Jesus saw when He got up to the sunrise alone with His Father.  (See Picture below I took)

In our time of isolation- this verse encourages us to be super-isolated. Don’t just be in your house with someone else; Don’t just be in your house zoning out to some movie, book, social media or podcast.  But be purposeful in improving your relationship and love for God.  Take time to be alone with God- just you, maybe the Bible and some prayer requests, and God.  Aloneness is not always a bad thing.  It can be a strengthening thing. 

Prayer: Lord, Thank you for your example of prayer and making alone time a priority. 

No comments:

Post a Comment