Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Power of the Resurrection 1

I want to know Christ--yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and somehow to attain to the resurrection.  (Phil. 3:10,11a). 

Narrative doesn't really touch the power of the resurrection.  Poetry points to it, but singing from our soul is the best we can do.  When I was in Young Life in high school, one of the first songs I led in Christian singing was about the power of the resurrection.  

CHORUS:
I am the resurrection and the life;
He who believes in me will never die.
I am the resurrection and the life;
He who believes in me will live a new life.


1. I have come to bring the truth;
I have come to bring you life;
If you (yes you), believe (I do), then you shall live.

2. In my word all men will come to know
It is love which makes the Spirit grow
If you (yes you), believe (I do), then you shall live.

3. Keep in mind the things that I have said
Remember me in the breaking of the bread
If you (yes you), believe (I do), then you shall live.

Ray Repp song youtube by Henry Garcia (audio only)

Jesus came to give us eternal life.  But eternal life does not begin after we die- the life God has meant for us begins now.  We can be loving- now.  We can be kind- now.  We can have joy- now.  We can experience forgiveness for our sins and our past- now.  We can be lifted up when we feel we are the mud on the bottom of someone's shoes- now.  Jesus said He has come to give us the abundant life- now (Jn. 10:10).  The Bible says that you can know you have eternal life.  It doesn't begin after we die- it begins the minute we first really believe. This is true in the coronavirus time and in ordinary time.  


Prayer: Lord, you are my resurrection and my life.  Help me to trust that if I believe in you I will never die.  Iin this tough time, Lord, lift me up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment