Friday, July 10, 2015

Heidelberg 103 & 104 Sabbath and Honoring Parents

23Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful. 24And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (Heb. 10:23-25)

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother” —this is the first commandment with a promise:3“so that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”4And, fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.  (Ephesians 6:1-4)

Thoughts: Today is John Calvin's birthday (as I write this 7/10).  He had tremendous influence on this catechism- especially on the question about honoring father and mother as applying to all those in authority.  The keeping of the Sabbath is restricted more here than in the Westminster/Scottish thought- to merely coming to worship on the Christian Sabbath (the other confessions speak of deeds of love and mercy only being allowed along with worship).  But the heart of the worship of God is found in both of these.  Keeping our time with God is important.  If we say we love someone but do not give them time- then we are fooling ourselves.  If we say we love God but squeeze Him out of our time and days then we too are fooling ourselves.  Keeping the Sabbath is a concrete way of measuring our devotion to God.  Respecting authority is also a sign of respecting God.  Families are gifts from God (He places the lonely in families).  Sabbath and family go together under the loving God table/half of the commands because they both elicit love for God. 
Prayer: Lord, help me to keep my appointment with you each week and to keep my family in love. 
Q & A 103
Q. What is God’s will for you in the fourth commandment?
A. First, that the gospel ministry and education for it be maintained,and that, especially on the festive day of rest, I diligently attend the assembly of God’s peopleto learn what God’s Word teaches,to participate in the sacraments,to pray to God publicly,and to bring Christian offerings for the poor.Second, that every day of my life I rest from my evil ways, let the Lord work in me through his Spirit, and so begin in this life the eternal Sabbath.7

Lord’s Day 39

Q & A 104
Q. What is God’s will for you in the fifth commandment?
A. That I honor, love, and be loyal to my father and mother and all those in authority over me; that I submit myself with proper obedience to all their good teaching and discipline;and also that I be patient with their failings—for through them God chooses to rule us.3

No comments:

Post a Comment