Saturday, July 18, 2015

Heidelberg 118- what to pray about

6Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:6-7)

Thoughts: We are asked to pray instead of worry.  So what should we pray for?  Perhaps whatever we are worried about.  Sometimes we worry over things needlessly; sometimes we worry over things that are beyond our control; or we want things (or relationships) that are not good for us.  The answer to our prayer- for our own good is "No" on some occasions (sounds like the Garth Brooks song: "Sometimes God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." ).  Sometimes, however, the BIG things worry us.  Sometimes the little things worry us.  I know I worry more about little things for my grandkids- and their little things can become my big things- because they seem big to them (I lost my toy, I can't find my blankie, I don't see mommy).  Perhaps that is how God sees us- in love- and caring about what we care about.  I cannot help but recognize that never in scripture does it say to NOT pray about this or that.  The false teaching of today is that our concerns are either too big for God to handle or too small for God to care about.  But such thinking merely shrinks our understanding of the power of God- who created stars we have yet to see; or the love of God- who created micro-organisms and controls/sustains the universe by keeping some bacteria or viruses at bay.  Do not be afraid to pray for anything.  It honors God that you bring Him your worries and concerns- however great or small.  

Prayer: Lord, keep me from anxiety.  Keep me praying to you- and trusting in you.    

Q & A 118
Q. What did God command us to pray for?
A. Everything we need, spiritually and physically,as embraced in the prayer
Christ our Lord himself taught us.

No comments:

Post a Comment