Monday, July 13, 2015

Heidelberg 109 & 110 - No Stealing

5Be sure of this, that no fornicator or impure person, or one who is greedy (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Eph. 5;5)

Thoughts; Stealing is a matter of the heart and is the opposite of generosity.  Thus "Thou shalt no steal" could also mean- "thou shalt be generous.: Being honest and full of integrity is part of being generous and not stealing. 

Prayer: Lord, keep me from stealing, but also help me from getting a hard heart toward those in need. 

Q & A 110
Q. What does God forbid in the eighth commandment?
A. God forbids not only outright theft and robbery,punishable by law.But in God’s sight theft also includes all scheming and swindling in order to get our neighbor’s goods for ourselves, whether by force or means that appear legitimate,such as inaccurate measurements of  eight, size, or volume; fraudulent merchandising; counterfeit money; excessive interest; or any other means forbidden by God.In addition God forbids all greedand pointless squandering of his gifts.5
Q & A 111
Q. What does God require of you in this commandment?
A. That I do whatever I can for my neighbor’s good, that I treat others as I would like them to treat me, and that I work faithfully so that I may share with those in need.1 Isa. 58:5-10Matt. 7:12Gal. 6:9-10Eph. 4:28

No comments:

Post a Comment