Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Heidelberg 113- No Coveting

25Whom have I in heaven but you?
And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart
and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:25-26)

Thou shalt not Covet. 

Thoughts: It is God's will that our will and desires be controlled.  Only God owns all He sees.  "To want it all" may sound romantic and super-human but it is not good for us.  We are limited in time and space, but also limited by who we are.  To want what we cannot or should not have means our desires are not controlled.  This command commends curbing desires for things and temporary stuffs or relationships in light of what is eternal and lasting.  But the way to curb things is to not leave our desires in a vacuum, but to place our desires on God and not on things on this earth.  Hating sin is refusing to place our desires on it.  Loving God means putting our affection and passion on Him. 

Prayer: Change my heart, my desires, O Lord.  





Q & A 113
Q. What is the aim of the tenth commandment?
A. That not even the slightest desire or thought contrary to any one of God’s  commandments should ever arise in our hearts. Rather, with all our hearts we should always hate sin and take pleasure in whatever is right.1

No comments:

Post a Comment