Thursday, July 16, 2015

Heidelberg 114 & 115- keeping the Law

22For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, 23but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin. (Romans 7:22-25)

Thoughts: No one can keep God's law perfectly.  That doesn't mean we should chunk all the law of God.  Just because many- maybe all- break the speed limit does not need we should stop putting out speed limit signs.  There are some who want to hold out the worst sins today as if they were not sins.  Why would this happen?  Perhaps it is an effort to try to eliminate their own shame by eliminating shame altogether. Shame and guilt are debilitating as is the Law- that convicts us of our wrong.  Yet they are useful to point out where we are wrong and point us toward the need of God's forgiveness and Christ's atonement.  But the Law also shows us the right way to live (not lying, not committing adultery, not stealing, honoring parents, keeping time for God- etc.).  Just as no human is perfect, no church is perfect.  

Prayer: Help me to have grace toward others and myself.  Thank you for your grace and love that help me to keep the Law as good as I do.  

Q & A 114
Q. But can those converted to God obey these commandments perfectly?
A. No. In this life even the holiest have only a small beginning of this obedience.Nevertheless, with all seriousness of purpose, they do begin to live
according to all, not only some, of God’s commandments.2
Q & A 115
Q. Since no one in this life can obey the Ten Commandments perfectly, why does God want them preached so pointedly?
A. First, so that the longer we live the more we may come to know our sinfulness and the more eagerly look to Christ for forgiveness of sins and righteousness.Second, so that
we may never stop striving, and never stop praying to God for the grace of the Holy Spirit, to be renewed more and more after God’s image, until after this life we reach our goal: perfection.2

No comments:

Post a Comment