Sunday, September 4, 2016

Competence and Confidence

4Such confidence we have through Christ before God. 5Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. 6He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Corinthians 3:4-6)

Thoughts: There is a lot of talk of self-esteem.  But Paul had something better- God-esteem.  He knew God made him and gave him abilities and talents and a calling.  We are not self-made.  Not everyone has what the world wants (beauty, wealth, intelligence, health).  The real beginning of the idea that what counts is not reality but what we think reality is (I feel therefore I am) comes from the "everybody needs self-esteem" movement.  Everyone has worth- but that is not found just because we are human.  Our worth is found beyond ourselves.  God made us (in His image), loves us, died for us, and calls us to do something with our lives.  Paul knew his talent came from Jesus.  He knew his calling changed his life from persecuting the church to building it up.  His confidence was in that call and in Christs sacrifice and forgiveness.  His competence also was not from his great education but from God who established the work of his hands.  A minister especially should know that even the best sermons can fall flat without the Spirit giving life to them. There are many competent and confident ministers whose ministry falls flat.  But the Spirit can make the seed bear fruit.  Our confidence and competence -whatever we do- is from the Lord. 

Prayer: Lord, forgive me when I put confidence in myself rather than you.  Forgive me when I plagiarize your work by taking all the credit for myself- as if my abilities, genetics, and environment are of my own making. 

No comments:

Post a Comment