Saturday, August 12, 2017

An Eclipse Over Oppression

7When I snuff you out, I will cover the heavens
and darken their stars;
I will cover the sun with a cloud,
and the moon will not give its light.
8All the shining lights in the heavens
I will darken over you;
I will bring darkness over your land, (Ezekiel 32:7,8)

Thoughts: Ezekiel is prophesying against Egypt to say that it will fall, and when it falls the sun, moon, and stars will grow dark.  This is in part because the King of Judah had made alliances with Egypt and against Babylon, but the Egyptians did not come to rescue the people of Israel when they were invaded.  Just as darkness came over the whole land during the plagues, so the Lord brings darkness again at this point of Egypt's weakness.  Darkness on the land when there should not be darkness (midday), is sometimes a sign of God's displeasure.
    Matthew Henry wisely says of this passage- "great oppressors are, in God's account no better than birds of prey.  Those who admire the pomp of this world will wonder at the ruin of that pomp.    

Prayer: Lord, let your light shine on me.  Do not take the light of your smile away from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment