Wednesday, August 2, 2017

God Does not Forsake Us

25I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.
26They are always generous and lend freely;
their children will be a blessing. Psalm 37:25-26)

Thoughts: This is not a hard and fast rule with no exceptions.  But it is a general observable principle.  The righteous in general are blessed.  The righteous are industrious and will try.  So it is a principle to claim before God.  We may pray, "Lord let me not be forsaken, and keep my children from being beggars.  Help me to be generous to others."
     Tonight we had a prayer service for those who were laid off in the nuclear construction project in Fairfield County, SC.  After the service the local methodist minister and I were talking.
      He mentioned that he had paid his first taxes as a pastor and was $600 short.  He didn't tell a soul but prayed.  Someone who was not a member came to his door and said that God told him to give him a check for... $600!  Just what he needed.
       Similarly, my wife and I paid our first tax bill after seminary and we didn't have any food or money for groceries.  We didn't want to tell anyone- but cried out to God.   We received a knock on our door from a former member who brought us a huge packet of steaks.  We couldn't even afford the potatoes or salad to go with them.
     God provides for us.  In tough times, this is important to remember.  Trust in God.  Seek to be a generous person, believing God will be generous to you.  

Prayer: Lord, provide for those who call out to you for mercy and help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment