Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hope in the Face of Job Loss
















19I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
20I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
21Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
22Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
23They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
25The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;
26it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.
27It is good for a man to bear the yoke
while he is young.     (Lamentations 3) 


Thoughts: Jeremiah was devastated.  Not only had people lost their jobs and were in danger of starving, but they had seen their families killed and their city destroyed in war.   He had known it was coming- and had publicly predicted it- like many who knew that a layoff was coming.
    Jeremiah remembered his affliction and homelessness, his broken dreams and burst expectations and his very soul was downcast and sad. When we look at our circumstances, life can be hard.  We might try to compare ourselves to someone else (like Jeremiah), but what if you were the last guy?  Comparisons may ease pain but not ultimately.
     But there was really one thing that gave Jeremiah hope. God still loves.  He has never ending compassion.  His mercy and compassion are new every day. 
      Out response to desolation and sadness is to wait, trust, and hope in God.  God will be our help.  

Prayer: Lord, be with the 7,000 who lost their jobs in South Carolina this week. Grant them grace, hope, peace, and strength.  Let them know your care and see them through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment