Friday, August 4, 2017

Joy in the Tough Times

17Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
18yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights. (Habakkuk 3:17-19)

Thoughts: We do not follow God simply because everything is going well. In fact, it is in the tough times that we often experience his help and learn to trust and rely on Him.  It is in the valley of the shadow of death that we learn His rod and staff comforts us.  Habakkuk was facing the effects of an army coming through and destroying the country.  He decided he would praise God even if things were desperate.  It is a little bit like the marriage vows- for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health.  Habakkuk affirms that God gives Him strength and Habakkuk believes God will save him out of this mess.  Joy does not depend on circumstances, but on our anchor standing firm.  

Prayer: Lord, help me to be faithful to you in the good and bad times. Let me remember you are God even in the worst of circumstances.  

No comments:

Post a Comment