Wednesday, March 19, 2014

3-20-14 The Betrayal Predicted

18“I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: ‘He who shared my bread has turneda against me.’b
19“I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am. 20Very truly I tell you, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.”
21After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.”
22His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. 23One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. 24Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, “Ask him which one he means.”
25Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, “Lord, who is it?”
26Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. 27As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him.
So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” 28But no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. 29Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival, or to give something to the poor. 30As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night. (John 13:18-29)

Thoughts: Jesus predicts both Judas's betrayal and Peter's denial recorded in John 13 near the time of his arrest.  It must have been so sad that his treasurer and lead disciple would let him down so.  The question may be if Jesus predicted such actions, were they responsible for their actions.  The Bible indicates they were- whether we understand how or not.  So there is no excuses to shirk our responsibility because we somehow think it doesn't matter what we do- or that God is so much in control.   The truth appears to be both that God is in control and uses our free actions to achieve His purposes.
      Betrayal is the anti-virtue.  It goes against loyalty, faithfulness, and love-- the things Jesus stood for.  Turning away when we have seen and experienced the truth is devastating, and is so hard to overcome and come back again.  So Judas, who realized his wrong later and gave back his pieces of silver, does not come back to his disciples but commits suicide.  We should never take lightly leaving the faith or falling out of the habit.  Such actions spurn the love Christ showed us on the cross as if it was not important.  It is truly hard to come back to faith or to the church once we have left out of disuse or denial of faith. 

Prayer: Lord, let me never betray or deny you.  Thank you for your love for me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment