Saturday, March 1, 2014

3/2/14- The Identity of Jesus

21Once more Jesus said to them, “I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come.”
22This made the Jews ask, “Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, ‘Where I go, you cannot come’?”
23But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”
25“Who are you?” they asked.
“Just what I have been telling you from the beginning,” Jesus replied. 26“I have much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is trustworthy, and what I have heard from him I tell the world.”
27They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 28So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. 29The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” 30Even as he spoke, many believed in him.

Thoughts:  Jesus said he was going away from them (21), but He was not alone (29).  The reason He was not alone was that the Holy Spirit was with Him.  So Jesus taught from the Spirit and was one with the Father. There is a oneness with God when we please Him- and Jesus was the ultimate example of pleasing the Father. Jesus knew that He came from the Father and would return back to the Father. He identified Himself in that way.  He knew His time was short- not because He was going to harm Himself, but because His enemies would soon- lift Him up on the cross.
     Jesus, in answer to the question "Who are you" would not answer directly.  He wanted the Jews and He also wants us to think long and hard.  He only refers to Himself as "the Son of Man" (a reference to the end times figure in Daniel 7), and as simply he ("I am he" vs. 24, 28).  In the end, the identity of Christ is not explained in terms of a social security number or a pedigree or a place where He is "from."  Rather, we are called to simply "know" Jesus and pursue Him.  As we entrust ourselves to Jesus, we discover who He really is.  His enemies would not understand, but those who opened their hearts to Him will.  

Prayer: Jesus, I want to know you and the power of your resurrection.  I seek you and ask that you would give me grace to find you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment