Tuesday, March 4, 2014

3/5/14- Blind but Now I see

A second time they summoned the man born blind.   "Give glory to God and tell the truth" they said.  "We know this man is a sinner."  He replied, "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know.  One thing I do know.  I was blind but now I see."  (John 9:24,25)

Thoughts:  This brings up memories of the great song by Isaac Watts "Amazing Grace."  Watts was a slave trader whose life was ruined with sin.  He fell overboard and was rescued miraculously in answer to his prayers.  So he wrote, "Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me!  I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see."  Part of what we are to tell the world is that we were blind but now we see.  We do not need to argue.  Even though the blind man was healed, he did not argue  Instead, he spoke from his experience.  Coming to know Christ is like putting on glasses for the first time- to see the world around you.  It is like becoming a new creature, or being born again.  Many do not realize how blind they are and what they cannot see until they try the glasses of Christ on. Just as someone who has never worn glasses does not realize that they are not seeing blades of grass or leaves of trees. 
Today is Ash Wednesday.  It is a great day to recognize we are blind and need to repent. 

Prayer: Help me see, Lord.  Open my eyes to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment