Sunday, March 2, 2014

3/3/14 Jesus Before Abraham

57“You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

Thoughts: John is known for his seven "I am sayings" of Jesus.  Here is one more that elevates Jesus' claim to a new level.  Jesus was referring to Exodus 3 when God identified himself as "I am who I am."  In saying this, Jesus admitted he was before Abraham in status and before Abraham in priority.  In response, the Jews, who had earlier tried to trap Jesus into breaking the Roman Law by approving of an adulterous woman's stoning, wanted to stone him.  

Prayer: Lord, you are before all.  We stand in awe of your love and your power.  


No comments:

Post a Comment