Sunday, March 23, 2014

3-24-14 Jesus and the Father

 10Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. (John 14:10-14) 

Thoughts: Jesus says He is in the Father and the Father is in Him plainly twice and expounds on it in several ways.  Jesus is one in essence with the Father.
   1. He speaks with the Father's authority (vs. 10).  The Son has the power to speak for the Father to the people. 

   2. (10,11) The Father lives in and works through Him.  His work is the Father's work.
   3. He is going back home to the Father.  The Father's home is His home.
   4. He will answer our prayers when they are made in His name.  The Father is honored to answer prayers made in the name of the Son. When the Son's name is honored, so is the Father honored.
So these four things give us some idea of the oneness of Jesus, the Son, with the Father.  Basically, if we honor and pray to Jesus we also glorify and honor the Father. 


Prayer: Help me to honor you, Lord.  May I honor your name as well as pray in your name, Jesus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment