Monday, March 24, 2014

3-26-14 Spirit and Law

15“If you love me, keep my commands. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will bec in you. 18I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. 21Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”  (John 14:15-21)

Thoughts: The Law and the Spirit are not separate as many suppose these days.  The Spirit does not contradict Himself- for the Spirit is a Spirit of truth (vs. 17).  So the Spirit, who gave the Law, does not change His promises or Laws.  That does not mean that certain laws (like laws specific to the nation of Israel or the sacrifices before Jesus' ultimate sacrifice) no longer apply.  There is also a gradual unveiling (some would say "progression") in revelation.  So Jesus clarifies that to keep the commands of God shows love for Him.  The Spirit helped write the Law and gives guidance in keeping it, as well as grace in the rigidity of the Law.  Love and Law go together similarly like Spirit and Law.  The first Law is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength and the second Law is to love neighbor as self.
    So the Law without the grace of the Spirit is legalism.  The Spirit without the Law is not the spirit of righteousness.  The Spirit does not break His own laws, nor does the Law go against the Spirit.  So the Spirit will not command us to lie, or steal, or commit adultery or make idols, or murder, or covet.  In fact, the Spirit enables us to have strength, courage, and creativity to keep the Law.  When we break the Law, we grieve the Spirit.  We quench the Spirit when we try to keep the Law apart from Him.  The Law was given at Pentecost, and the Spirit was given at Pentecost.  They are not of or from two different gods- but they are one.    


Prayer: Lord, Send your Spirit to me to keep your Law.  Help me to love you more that I may keep it in my heart as well as in my actions.  


No comments:

Post a Comment