Tuesday, March 25, 2014

3-26-14 Fake vs Real Religious Love

22Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, “But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?”
23Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24Anyone who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
25“All this I have spoken while still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
28“You heard me say, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I. 29I have told you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe. 30I will not say much more to you, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold over me, 31but he comes so that the world may learn that I love the Father and do exactly what my Father has commanded me.
“Come now; let us leave. (John 14:22-31)

Thoughts: This passage really is about fake religious love (illustrated in Judas) and real love (illustrated in Jesus).  Judas, the betrayer, asks why Jesus doesn't market himself better.  Perhaps he betrayed Jesus in order to force his hand at who He was, or more likely felt like Jesus' movement was going the wrong direction.  John portrays Judas as the treasurer who embezzles.  Even in a group of twelve, that Jesus Himself picked, there is sin, division, and embarrassment. Being in a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than being in a hospital makes you a doctor.  There are always those who fake love for God.  Perhaps Judas words prompted Him to not talk about His marketing strategy but to answer Judas speaking of Judas lack of obedience and love.  If we do not really love Christ, it is hard to fake it in Christ's service. Judas feigned love and betrayed Christ with a loveless kiss.  But the Holy Spirit, makes the faith real to us (26). Judas was eaten up inside- torn within himself.  But Jesus says he gives us peace- from trouble and fear.   Jesus, in contrast to Judas (who betrays and disobeys), loves and obeys God the Father (23 vs. 31). So our task is to love and to obey. 

Prayer: Help me to love you more, listen to you better, and follow you with my whole heart. 




.  

No comments:

Post a Comment