Wednesday, March 5, 2014

3/6/14- Jesus as the Gate

1“Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. 2The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. 3The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” 6Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them.
7Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. 8All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. 9I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved.a They will come in and go out, and find pasture. 10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:1-10)

Thoughts: Jesus is the gate to life.  Not just to eternal life to come.  He is the gate to the abundant life now.  Too often the image is that Jesus comes to take our joy away.  So he comes to take our drugs away; our drunks away; our ability to do whatever we want-even-if-it-harms-us-away.  There is a way that leads to death.  Jesus would steer us away from that.  On Ash Wednesday, perhaps the most important thing is to give up the way of death- and head toward doing what is right.  Calvin said that the Christian [abundant] life consists of giving something up- but not just stopping there.  We are to live for something more.  He called it mortification and vivification.  Dying to self and living to God.
We are to die to the way of the thief and robber- who would rob us of real joy and life.  Instead we are to live for God who enables us to live the way we are designed to live.
     Jesus claims to be the Gate.  This is one of the seven "I am" sayings in John.  It is an overlooked title.  The  Gate title is given in the context of sheep.  The shepherd would sometime lie down at the mouth of the opening and serve as the gate itself to keep the wolves out and the sheep within.  As our protection from the wolves- the evil in this world- He is our gate.  As the one who opens for us so that we may come in to hope- He is our gate.  When enemies attacked a walled fortress, they usually attacked at the gate.  But strong gates were also a great blessing of defense.  Jesus defends us- He is our gate.  

Prayer: Lord, be my gate.  Be my way into your love.  Be my way out of my own problems and evil.  Be my way into your protection and care.  Be my way out of my own danger and meager means.  Be my way into rest.  Be my way out of restlessness and anxiety.  


No comments:

Post a Comment