Monday, August 29, 2016

Against Divsions

1So I made up my mind that I would not make another painful visit to you. 2For if I grieve you, who is left to make me glad but you whom I have grieved? 3I wrote as I did, so that when I came I would not be distressed by those who should have made me rejoice. I had confidence in all of you, that you would all share my joy. 4For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you. (2 Corinthians 2:1-4)

Thoughts: There have always been problems wherever humans have been- this includes the church.  People can rub each other the wrong way.  But truth is, we need each other- with our different gifts and perspectives.  The Corinthian church was full of divisions.  There apparently were some who did not want to listen to Paul.  There were some who said they were followers of different leaders (Apollos, Peter, or others).  There were others who were divided over immorality going on in the church and how to handle it.  There were others divided over their different gifts (the eye should not say to the hand "I don't need you.):.  The church in many ways is the place where we rub elbows and learn to love and get along.  Paul is right to urge them to stay together in unity to get along instead of dividing in order to go on the futile quest to find the pure church.  

Prayer: Lord, give me grace not to be divisive but to be an instrument of peace and hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment