Thursday, August 11, 2016

Preparing for the End of the Race

6For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

Thoughts: I will look at these important verses for the next few days.  Paul was writing this (and I believe it was indeed Paul) as an older man.  His style and his words were different- as mine are different from when I was much younger.  Paul was comparing ending his life and ministry to finishing a race or completing the fight.
     He says, "I am already being poured out like a drink offering" (cf. Numbers 15:5). The drink offering is poured out as a part of the ritual of offering a sacrifice.  Paul saw his impending martyrdom as a sacrifice to God.  Paul said many years before in Philippi - "for me to live is Christ and to die is gain."  Paul knew his time for his departure was near.
      Tonight (8/11) Ryan Lochte, who has won 12 Olympic medals in his career finished his last race at 32 years old.  He finished the second turn leading the pack, but his 32 year old body was not able to sustain the lead.  Even the strongest and fastest among us get tired and weary.  But when we know our race is finishing, there is still hope for those who believe.  It is a hope that goes beyond worldly strength.  It is a hope to see our rewarder- our greatest Judge of who we are face to face.  We do not fear the judge- for He will give us our medal!  Our departing the track (or the pool) of life is only so we can go to the stand where we will receive our reward-  before the Judge who gives it to us.  Are you living your life preparing for the end of the race?  Is your faith such that you are ready to look the judge in the face to receive your reward?  


Prayer: Lord, help me to always have hope when I am young, or when I am older.  May my hope be always on you- the Rewarder who stands at the finish line.  




No comments:

Post a Comment