Tuesday, August 13, 2013

8/14/13- Remember, O Lord

“Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, ‘If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, but if you return to me and obey my commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.’ (Nehemiah 1:8,9)

Thoughts: Nehemiah asks God to remember.  It is not like Nehemiah believes God forgets.  Rather it is an appeal to the memory and promises (covenant) of God as a reason for His favor.  Remembering is a key concept in Nehemiah (4:14; 5:19; 6:14; 13:14,22,29,31).  Nehemiah asks the people to remember God and asks God to remember him: ending the book saying, "Remember me with favor my God."  Perhaps the chronicler was asking the people to remember their covenant with God, and God- His covenant with His people.  Perhaps the writer was reminding the people that it is important to trust and appeal to the memory of God.  Not a bad thing to do!  God does not forget us.  Nehemiah has confessed His sins- now He asks God to remember His covenant of grace- and not treat His people as their sins deserve.   
    Even if we go astray and God punishes us- God still has a way for us to be blessed and come back to Him.  Nehemiah appeals to the scripture of Deuteronomy 30:2,3 that God will bring us back.  No matter how far off in the country of the prodigal we wander, God remembers to bring us back when we turn to Him.  That is good news. It is the good news of the cross. 

Prayer: Help me. Lord, to remember you.  Do not, O Lord, forget me.  

(Persian Prayer Rug- "The Carpet of Wonder:)

No comments:

Post a Comment